The Platinum Ticket by David Beynon

The Platinum Ticket by David Beynon
Shortlisted for The Terry Pratchett Anywhere But Here, Anywhen But Now First Novel Prize

Monday 2 May 2011

Those old democratic wheels keep a turnin'

It is election day here in Canada.  It's our third election in five years and I keep hearing things like "voter's fatigue" and "no appetite for another election" bandied about.  Things like that tend to make me shake my head.  There are dozens of countries around the world itching to have a say in the direction of their governments.  I guess folks here would really like to see a little more co-operation from our elected officials - not too much to expect from a minority parliament.

Our most recent parliament was dissolved after the government was defeated on a non-confidence motion brought about after the government was found in contempt of parliament.  Let me repeat that - the government was found to be in contempt of parliament.  No where have I heard how the government plans to be less contemptuous if re-elected, although, to be fair, I haven't heard a single reporter pose the question...

Regardless of how broken your particular democracy may be, it is the responsibility of all eligible citizens to vote when called upon to do so.  I'll be casting my ballot a little later today.  My wife and I always take the kids along to vote.  I feel it is important to show them how the democratic process works and there's no better way than in the voting booth.

If you're in Canada and you're a citizen, get out there and vote.  It's the responsible thing to do.

No comments: