The Platinum Ticket by David Beynon

The Platinum Ticket by David Beynon
Shortlisted for The Terry Pratchett Anywhere But Here, Anywhen But Now First Novel Prize

Wednesday 24 March 2010

An Eye on London



I know I promised yesterday to share a little something Welsh, but we'll need to wait a day or two.


Before we travelled to Wales we saw a few points of interest in London.  Of course, what's a trip to England without a quick stop to visit Liz.




I didn't see her flag, so it's likely she wasn't in residence.  We all waved to her anyway.

We also took a trip on this thing:


Wow.  Unbelievable views from the comfort of a safely sealed capsule.  The slow rotation takes between 30 and 45 minutes and provides unparalleled scenery.   There's really only one safety rule...


...which I broke.

Look down there -


It's Big Ben!

Next we rode the subway and I had to snap this picture:


I'll have to re-watch the movie to be sure, but I think this is the same tunnel used in An American Werewolf in London.  From this point on I told the boy that the mirrors mounted at the turns in the tunnels are to see if you are being chased by a werewolf.

The subway dropped us off near the British Museum where I was thrilled to meet this handsome fella:


When I was a kid there was this incredibly informative and poorly animated cartoon called The Wonderful Stories of Professor Kitzel.


Through the use of a lever-activated time machine, the good professor opened a window on events from the past.  I credit a fairly robust general knowledge to the early influence of the aforementioned time machine.  The show introduced me to my hero, Thor Heyerdahl and to the Easter Island statue above.  But nothing on the show stirred my imagination like the episode which covered the Rosetta Stone.


I'd waited my whole life to see this thing.  (And, yes, my kids do know how lucky they are.)

It took my breath away.


Next time I promise we'll go to Wales.

No comments: