The Platinum Ticket by David Beynon

The Platinum Ticket by David Beynon
Shortlisted for The Terry Pratchett Anywhere But Here, Anywhen But Now First Novel Prize

Sunday 18 November 2007

Small Town Secrets

Well, it's early Sunday morning and I think today I'm finally going to finish Small Town Secrets to my satisfaction. I'll get a little bit done this morning before the house stirs but the big windfall will come this afternoon. My son (4 years old) called up his little buddy to come over this afternoon. Since my daughter and wife will probably supervise, it looks like 2 or three hours of clear sailing. Should be more than enough time to finish.

Work has been occupying my time, but I'm also a member of the local Heritage Committee. Our job is to research and preserve those things in our community of architectural, historical or cultural significance. It is an advisory committee to the Municipality and it is a great insight into local politics and the unique history of the little hunk of the world I've chosen to call home. With work, the Heritage Committee, playing with the kids and writing, it makes for a busy life.

I've also enlisted the aid of the lovely Mavis Beacon to teach me how to type. Retraining the fingers is a hard job, but I'm learning. Still, when I want to type fast I'm still using hunt and peck...It'll come.

Anyway, it has been a week of parent-teacher interviews (the kids are doing really, really well) and playing with power tools (the 18 volt battery packs make you feel like some kind of handy god). Life is good and I've no complaints.

I hear little feet upstairs - time for breakfast.

No comments: