The Platinum Ticket by David Beynon

The Platinum Ticket by David Beynon
Shortlisted for The Terry Pratchett Anywhere But Here, Anywhen But Now First Novel Prize

Friday 14 September 2007

Writes and responsibilities

I haven't been posting for the last week or so, nor have I been writing very much.

After the 3 Day Novel Contest I need to admit that I needed a break. I haven't really worked writing into my daily routine, yet and I think I know why. During the Labour Day weekend I managed an output of forty hand-written pages per day. Now, I know I can't keep a sustained 40 pages per day, but I find that handwriting goes a lot faster for me than typing - I'm a hunter and pecker, so the pen and paper thing works out fairly well for me.

I've decided to go back to writing my 1st drafts by hand. I feel it will encourage me to write on a daily basis. Handwriting is also more satisfying, somehow.

When you type in the computer, sure you can see the word count and scroll down the pages, but when you're writing by hand it's truly physical. The words spill out of the pen and you can track your progress as your hand works across the page.

Currently I am revamping The Platinum Ticket for Jim Baen's Universe, an online Sci-fi and fantasy magazine.

With my decision to write my 1st drafts by hand Small Town Secrets and Nothing's Made to Last should progress nicely.

No comments: