The Platinum Ticket by David Beynon

The Platinum Ticket by David Beynon
Shortlisted for The Terry Pratchett Anywhere But Here, Anywhen But Now First Novel Prize

Tuesday 29 May 2007

Technology...arrrghhhhh

So I have this desktop computer in the basement that acts as a server for the home network. My wife's computer, my laptop, the kids' computer in the family room and the printer all share the basement computer. Internet is independent and wireless but shared files all reside on the basement computer.

Alas, the basement computer is...dead...

Our local computer guy did what he can but the hard drive is "totally pooched" as he put it. Fortunately most of the info is elsewhere and backed up but there are a few hundred photos and several documents that are gone. There is a chance that a data retrieval company could extract the data for six to eight hundred dollars.

I'll take more photos and recreate the documents.

Apart from chating with the computer guy I've spent the day recreating one of those documents. Fortunately I printed out the short story, From My Father's Hands for editing, otherwise it would have been lost. This is the story I plan to enter in the U.K.'s prestigious Bridport Prize.

In a way the recreated story is much better than the original. Maybe these things happen for a reason.

My advice for everyone today - no matter how friendly your computer seems, always back up your data.

No comments: