The Platinum Ticket by David Beynon

The Platinum Ticket by David Beynon
Shortlisted for The Terry Pratchett Anywhere But Here, Anywhen But Now First Novel Prize

Friday 6 November 2009

Spooky handwriting analysis, Batman!

Since it snowed several times yesterday and there was another wee blanket of the white stuff this morning, I decided to post another of my winter themed poems over at the Notebook.  You can get to the Poetry  - yes, that's right - poetry page by clicking here.

I have been rebuilding my Edgeling synopsis this morning and needed a little break. (The re-writing of the synopsis is going quite well and is, I think, better than the one that vanished last week when Windows Vista decided to update.)

I saw an e-mail notification about Stephen King's new novel, Under the Dome.  On his website he discussed the evolution of the story and has posted a PDF of the original 60 typewritten pages of The Cannibals which would grow into the current book.  I figured there were worse ways to procrastinate that to look at the working process of one of the most successful storytellers in the world so I open the document and began to read.

I marveled at the old typeface and the bluish tint to the old paper (he started this thing back in the 80's when he was still using an electric typewriter).  I was delighted to see the number of mistakes that had been crossed out and corrected.  But then I had to give my head a shake.  As I saw his handwritten corrections I was taken aback.  I pulled off my glasses, rubbed my eyes and looked again.

Mr King and I have nearly identical handwriting.

This opens up all sorts of fun possibilities - especially if I can get my hands on his cheque book.  Imagine the fun I could have with the world's greatest horror writer by sending him weird and freaky letters in his own handwriting...There might be a whole new book there for either one of us...

Oh well...back to work.

No comments: