The Platinum Ticket by David Beynon

The Platinum Ticket by David Beynon
Shortlisted for The Terry Pratchett Anywhere But Here, Anywhen But Now First Novel Prize

Thursday 28 June 2012

...and moving on...

Lots going on so let's get right into it.

Here we are on the last day of school.  This afternoon my two kids will climb off the bus with sadness in their eyes and the bitter realization that their dad is unprepared to do anything at all interesting with them this summer.  No doubt their old man will figure something out.

The building project - continues...

When last we left the garage/office project it looked like this:



A simple, albeit expensive, slab of concrete in the side yard. In a short span of time walls were constructed and piled on top of each other like an elaborate 3D puzzle:


On a day where I left the house to supervise my daughter's class poetry reading at a local shopping mall (a story in itself) with the walls exactly as above, I returned to this:


Walls - glorious walls.  Things were beginning to take shape.  A splash of the first coat of paint didn't hurt, either:


Then the humble start of the second floor:


Rafters and dormers came next:


As I type today, I hear the sound of hammers as shingles are added to the structure.  Here's a shot from yesterday:


But the building project is only one of many events this month.  Sadly, the Tinkmobile is no more...

You DO remember the Tinkmobile - that horrible two-toned car we bought to see us through a season or two?


After many seasons and one too many repairs, the Tinkmobile has gone to the auto wreckers just down the road.  We discussed replacements and decided that the missus really needs a commuter car with excellent gas mileage.  We test drove a few vehicles but settled with this:


Yes, that's a smartcar.  And what fun it is to drive.  I had my doubts at first.  In fact, at first, I thought the damn little car couldn't be much longer than my bicycle.  It is, but not by much:


We've had it a week and a half and we have already realized significant gas savings.

I spent three days last week at my daughter's grade 6 camp experience as, for lack of a better term, a chaperone.  I had far too much fun to have been a chaperone.  It was hot and tiring and everything was uphill both ways, but so enjoyable.  I even got the opportunity to do this:



Yeah - that's me scurrying up those staples to that swing bridge about 35 feet above the ground.

Our annual Doors Open event came and went and our Heritage Centre Wellington booth was well visited.  Before my turn to man the booth, we took the kids to some venues they wanted to see.

We went to the local radio station (The Grand 92.9) where they were asked to go on the air:


Then on to the local cable station where they got to play on the green screen set:




All together it has been a busy month.  And I haven't even talked about writing.

I'll do that next time.


No comments: