The Platinum Ticket by David Beynon

The Platinum Ticket by David Beynon
Shortlisted for The Terry Pratchett Anywhere But Here, Anywhen But Now First Novel Prize

Thursday 28 June 2007

Submitted and Still in the Works

Yesterday I submitted my entry for the Bridport Prize, one of the UK's most prestigious writing competitions. I actually submitted two entries. Since the competition is British I was able to submit my entries electronically which is a huge advantage for someone on this side of the pond.

My entry into the short story competition was From My Father's Hands. This story was tough because it is fairly autobiographical and there were lingering issues with my father's death that needed to be dealt with. In the end, after a lot of reflection and rewriting and honesty, I think I dealt with those issues rather well.

My other entry was a poem. That's right - a poem. Now, Dave doesn't write much poetry, but after listening to Mike Freeman at the recent Elora Writer's Festival and reading his collection of poetry, Cigarette Salad, I have rethought my position on poetry.

I looked at the Bridport categories and decided I should enter something into the poetry side of the competition. I retreated to the basement and blew the dust off a old notebook that has followed me around since my University days. Most of the stuff in there stems from an angst-filled, black turtle neck time of my life(older woman, love/lust confusion, a transatlantic separation etc) and is utter crap ie. the reason I stopped writing poetry in the first place. There was more pap in that notebook than in a gynecologist's waiting room.

Amid the angst - riddled scribbling's I found a single gem. Yesterday I polished that gem a bit, spat on it, rubbed it on my sleeve, then sent it out into the world. The poem's name is Morning Walk and I think it's kinda okay.

The Loremaster revision is going well. Hopefully it will be done and polished before the end of next week. I'm very pleased with the editing and fleshing out of characters and situations. The rewrite has added a lot to the quality of the story and I want to thank Bruce and Roy for their great help and insights.

That's about it for today. I'll be changing the "What I'm Reading" section later today and I might add a little review of the books I've recently finished.

No comments: